Thursday, October 14, 2010

Purpose

At the moment, I have two goals for this blog.

One is to regularly post narrative transcriptions of the dreams I have. I dream almost every night, and vividly remember most scenes and their emotional gravity as I was involved in them, in my dreams. Most often, I am the protagonist of my dreams.

For years I have been writing down my dreams in journals, but paper and virtual, but lately I've been nervous, that, should I god forbid lose a journal or my computer crashes, there would be no record of the innumerable chronicles of love, strangeness, savagery, magic, that graced me in my sleep. 

Also, more significantly, I hope that these dreams are of interest to someone, even if only one person. I imagine that, for example, a psych grad student needs some material for a case study on the subconscious, and wants to explore into my detail-rich and often cyclic and bizarre subconscious landscapes for something to analyze or dissect. I one day plan to release / publish a book of hundreds of my dreams (I don't have even one hundred cataloged yet) to the world, as a psychic atlas of poetry and short stories, avant-garde and very raw.

Just to clarify, nothing I write in these dream entries is intentionally fabricated for entertainment value; all of it I have experienced as a dreamer. When one recounts a story to another, however, there is always some license taken with the minor details, through nobody's fault -- it's in our oral tradition to embellish, and I am not exempt from this tradition. Usually, though, when I am reflecting on the sequence of events, or the particular features of a character or location, I must make a conscious decision to choose between two conflicting details. Like, did this happen first, or this? I will then try to weave my story so that it does not ignore or corrupt its inspiration, while simultaneously going with the version that makes the "most sense" thematically. Because there are definite themes that recur, and explode, and surrender, and there are morals alongside the drama, and so I suppose that at the heart of it all I simply enjoy telling stories.

Secondly, this blog will be a repository, a wellspring, for free ideas. Ideas, free to the public. And I don't intend to sound arrogant when I say that I want my ideas public.

Everyone has ideas....most people have ideas. Who hears them? Where do they go when people die? If you have a "million dollar idea," and you fail to pursue it, no one benefits. You remain as you were, and the world is no more enriched. I myself am extremely busy right now; I am a college student pursuing a double degree, and my parents are pushing me to get a job. But I have artistic/creative inclinations, and I'd like to "see" certain things, art exhibits that don't yet exist but in my mind, hear songs that weren't written but are already pretty cool concepts (in my opinion). And I don't have the time, yet, to take a painting class; or the money to buy a moog; or the capital and business savvy to start my own business. So I'm giving my ideas away, freely, to anyone that wants them, to anyone who will find something they like, or are intrigued by, and will execute.

I am humble...I think anyone could do what I am doing, maybe many are, and that is exciting to me. Good ideas are everywhere, and I am not in the position to cling to my own, keeping them in the dark until the day it's convenient to give them life. So I'll leave my babies on a doorstep and hope the good ones grow up.

Also, I don't expect royalties or payment if one gets used; at most, it'd be nice to see just one little line offering ambiguous thanks to me, Yeti Hunting. If not, then whatever, because I still benefit from the artistic produce that newly graces the world, and what's good for the artistic world is good for me.

Is there any confusion as to my motives? 

If not, then enjoy my blog :D. More commentary and posts to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment